Along with the release of FAST, EMC also released a new version of it’s CLARiiON Fibre Logic Array Runtime Environment, or in short “FLARE” operating environment. This release brings us to version 04.29 and offers some interesting enhancements, so I thought I’d give you an overview of what’s in there:
Let’s start off with some basics. Along with this update you will find updated firmware versions for the following:
Enclosure: DAE2 - FRUMon: 5.10 Enclosure: DAE2-ATA - FRUMon: 1.99 Enclosure: DAE2P - FRUMon: 6.69 Enclosure: DAE3P - FRUMon: 7.79
- VLAN tagging for 1Gb/s and 10Gb/s iSCSI interfaces.
- Support for 10Gb/s dual port optical I/O modules.
- Spin down support for storage system and/or RAID group. Once enabled drives spin down automatically if no user or system I/O has been recognized for 30 minutes. These SATA drives support spin down:
- Shrinking of a FLARE and meta LUNs. Note that this is only supported on Windows hosts that are capable of shrinking logical disks.
- Upgrade of UltraFlex I/O modules with an increased performance, more specifically 8Gb FC and 10Gb iSCSI. Note that only an upgrade is supported, a downgrade from for example 8Gb FC to 4Gb FC will not work.
- Rebuild logging is now supported on RAID6 LUNs, which means that a drive that may have been issuing timeouts will have it’s I/O logged and rebuild only the pending writes.
- The maximum number of LUNs per storage group have been upgraded from 256 for all CX4 models with FLARE 28 to the following:
- CX4-120 – 512
- CX4-240 – 512
- CX4-480 – 1024
- CX4-960 – 1024
You can find an overview with the supported connectivity options and front-end and back-end ports right here.