I’m currently visiting the Boston area because I’m attending EMC World. One of the bigger introductions made here yesterday was actually a new appliance called the VPLEX. In short, the VPLEX is all about virtualizing the access to your block based storage.
Let me give you a quick overview of what I mean with virtualized access to block based storage. With VPLEX, you can take (almost) any block based storage device on a local and remote site, and allow active read and writes on both sides. It’s an active/active setup that allows you to access any storage device via any port when you need to.
You can get two versions right now, the VPLEX local and the VPLEX Metro. Two other version, the VPLEX Geo and the VPLEX Global are planned for early next year. And since there is so much information that can be found online about the VPLEX, I figured I’d create a post here that will help me find the links when I return, and to also give you a one spot that can help you find the info you need.
An overview with links to more information on the EMC VPLEX:
Official links / EMC company bloggers / VMware company bloggers
- emc.com – press release
- Chad Sakac / virtualgeek – “Your Virtual Machine Teleporter is ready… Are you?”
- Barry Burke / The storage anarchist – 3.003: to boldly go
- Steve Todd / Information Playground – VPLEX Quality
- Mark Twomey / Storagezilla – This is VPLEX
- Stuart Miniman / Blog Stu – VPLEX: Redefining the Boundaries of the Data Center
- Chuck Hollis / Chuck’s blog – VPLEX: The Birth Of A New Storage Platform
- Scott Lowe – EMC VPLEX Launches Today
- Christopher Kusek – EMC and AOL use VPLEX to reduce complexity in migrations, eliminating downtime!
Blogs and media coverage:
- StorageIO – EMC VPLEX: Virtual Storage Redefined or Respun?
- Storagebod – V(per)PLEXed?
- Storagebod – New Device or Future Array?
- Gestalt IT – EMC Shouts VPLEX In A Crowded EMCWorld
- SearchStorage – NetApp replies to EMC’s VPlex announcement at EMC World
- TechNewsWorld – EMC’s Vplex Puts Data on the Bullet Train
- About Restore – Pondering VPLEX and backup
- Compellent – Comparing Compellent Live Volume and EMC’s VPLEX
- StorageRap – VPLEX undressed
- The Storage Architect – Enterprise Computing: VPLEX – A Dreary Storage Cluster?
- Computerworld – EMC users voice mixed feelings about VPLEX appliance
- Cinectica – Just another V-(per)Plex(ed) post
- Wikibon – EMC announces Federated Storage Vision with VPLEX
Now, if I missed one or more links, please just send me a tweet or leave a comment and I will make sure that the link is added to this post.